why do people choose us?
Our success rate is over 99% and we have obtained over $100 Million in verdicts and settlements for our clients, including more than 30 verdicts and settlements where the recovery was $1 Million or more

Motor Vehicle Accident Attorneys Serving Monmouth County, NJ

Any motor vehicle accident can be devastating, and victims are often left to deal with the aftermath alone. Determining liability in a motor vehicle accident can prove complex, with numerous factors to be considered to help ensure that the true wrongful parties are held liable for their actions. Having a motor vehicle accident attorney in Monmouth County, NJ, can help make the process as smooth and transparent as possible.

At Cerussi & Gunn, P.C., our car accident and hit-and-run lawyers understand the law that applies to motor vehicle accident cases. Our team has the experience, knowledge, and resources to properly investigate and pursue your case, all while taking the time to explain each step of your case to you.

Types of Motor Vehicle Accidents

Our car accident law firm helps our clients deal with a variety of car accident cases throughout the State, including:

The car accident injury lawyers at Cerussi & Gunn, P.C. have vast knowledge regarding the challenges encountered when making a claim for  the less traditional types of motor vehicle accidents. We have had great success in pursuing claims arising out of complex motor vehicle accidents.

What to Know Before an Accident Occurs

Many people receive an annual request to renew their auto insurance. They sign the renewal without reviewing the coverage that their policy offers, or they purchase motor vehicle insurance without understanding what they are actually purchasing. An experienced car accident lawyer or law firm can help sift through the options and determine which options make the most sense for you.

There are several different parts to the coverage you are purchasing/renewing, and it is crucial to understand the impact of the amounts of coverage you choose and the other choices you make.

No-fault Insurance

In New Jersey, when you are injured due to a motor vehicle accident, the majority of benefits you are entitled to come from your own motor vehicle insurance, not the insurance company of the person at fault. An experienced auto accident attorney can help you navigate determining what insurance company is responsible for paying for your losses..

One example of this is the cost of medical treatment. Your motor vehicle insurance will cover your medical bills. This portion of your benefits is called Personal Injury Protection (PIP) benefits. The standard amount of coverage is $250,000.00. Most insurance companies will provide less coverage for a reduction in premiums, but you should ensure that the savings are worth it.

Your motor vehicle insurance company will pay for your medical bills that it finds are for medically necessary treatment and treatment that is causally related to your motor vehicle accident. Your motor vehicle insurance carrier must pre-authorize any treatment you receive. It is imperative that your provider accepts PIP benefits and is familiar with the PIP system.

There is also an option to have your health insurance as primary, instead of your motor vehicle insurance coverage paying for your treatment. This means that you look to your health insurance, not your motor vehicle accident, as primary coverage for your medical bills. However, you are not permitted to choose health care as primary if you are on Medicare or Medicaid.

You should also be aware that your health insurance carrier may look to be reimbursed from monies received through a motor vehicle accident claim if you choose health care as primary.

Property Damage

Property damage is another category of damage paid through your own motor vehicle insurance, even if you were not at fault for the accident. An experienced car accident injury attorney can help you determine what if anything, the at fault driver’s insurance should cover.

Copays And Deductibles

Another choice you make when either purchasing or renewing motor vehicle insurance is how much your deductible will be for both your medical treatment (PIP benefits) and property damage payments. These choices determine what out-of-pocket costs you will incur.

Income Continuation Benefits

If you miss work as a result of injuries caused by a motor vehicle accident, you likely are entitled to benefits from your motor vehicle insurance company. However, the amount of benefits you are entitled to is based upon the amount of benefits you choose when you either purchase or renew your motor vehicle insurance.

Most insurance companies have several different weekly benefits options you can choose from. It is important to ensure that the amount of benefits you choose will compensate you for the monies you will lose should you be unable to work due to your injuries. To ensure that you get the benefits you are entitled to, having an experienced motor vehicle accident attorney in Monmouth County, NJ, will be critical.

Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage

Every insurance policy issued by an insurance company, with a few exceptions, must offer uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. This coverage is used to protect the persons named as insureds on the insurance policy. In New Jersey, a person can have insurance coverage, which provides no insurance coverage to another individual injured in a motor vehicle accident.

If a person who injures you has this type of policy, you will look to your insurance policy to cover your pain and suffering. The amount of money available to you is your uninsured motorist coverage limit. You will also look to your uninsured motorist coverage if you are injured due to a hit-and-run accident. Our car accident attorneys can guide you through the intricacies of dealing with uninsured motorists and your insurance.

Even if a person has insurance that provides coverage to another individual injured in a motor vehicle accident, the minimum amount in New Jersey that a person must have in coverage is $15,000.00 (bodily injury coverage). If you or a loved one is seriously injured, $15,000.00 may not be enough to compensate you for your pain and suffering.

This is when you would look to your insurance policy for coverage. The amount of money available to you is your underinsured motorist coverage limit, less the amount of coverage the person responsible for the happening of the accident has.

Verbal Threshold

Most people choose the verbal threshold on their motor vehicle insurance policy and are unaware of the consequences of their choice. In Monmouth County, NJ, our motor vehicle accident attorneys can help you make sense of the verbal threshold.

If you choose the verbal threshold or limitation of lawsuit option when purchasing or renewing your motor vehicle insurance coverage, your ability to make a claim for pain and suffering is limited.

Suppose a person has chosen the limitation on lawsuit option on their motor vehicle insurance policy. In that case, they can only bring a claim for pain and suffering, with some exceptions, if they suffer one of the following types of injuries:

  • Death
  • Dismemberment
  • Loss of a fetus
  • Significant disfigurement or scarring
  • Displaced fractures
  • Permanent injury

Contact a New Jersey Motor Vehicle Accident Lawyer

Our auto accident attorneys are committed to ensuring that our clients receive the best possible representation and strategic, personalized resolutions to the issues that arise out of motor vehicle accidents at our car accident law firm. In Monmouth County, NJ, the motor vehicle accident attorneys at Cerussi & Gunn, P.C., pursue compensation for our clients. We will fight to ensure that your rights as victims are fully protected.

Learn more about some of our past verdicts and settlements in NJ motor vehicle accident cases. Our hit-and-run lawyers await your call to help your case.

Our Monmouth County, New Jersey office is conveniently located in Shrewsbury, NJ.

Our motor vehicle accident attorneys in Monmouth County, NJ, serve clients throughout the state, including:

  • Shrewsbury, NJ
  • Red Bank, NJ
  • Middletown, NJ
  • Freehold, NJ
  • Long Branch, NJ
  • Hazlet, NJ
  • Old Bridge, NJ
  • Marlboro, NJ
  • Brick, NJ
  • Toms River, NJ
  • And More!

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Will my auto insurance cover property damage that occurred during the accident?

A: Your insurance will cover the property damage incurred during an auto accident based on your selected choices when you first signed up for your policy or when you last renewed your policy.

Q: Will my medical insurance cover medical damages from a car accident?

A: No! Your medical insurance will not cover your medical expenses from a car accident, unless you choose to have your medical insurance as primary. Medical expenses that result from a car accident are covered by your own insurance.  Each insurance policy, with some exceptions, provides Personal Injury Protection benefits, which pay for accident related medical treatment.

Q: What happens when the other person is at fault, but they are uninsured?

A: Every auto insurance policy issued must include uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage in your policy, with a few express exceptions. This provision helps cover damages caused by an uninsured motorist.