If you or a loved one has been in an accident where you have suffered a serious injury, it may be time to consider retaining a personal injury attorney. A personal injury lawsuit is complex and requires a thorough knowledge of the law and years of experience handling personal injury cases. It is extremely important that you reach out to an experienced personal injury attorney to represent you after a serious accident.
Burden of Proof in a Personal Injury Lawsuit
A personal injury lawsuit consists of three parts:
- Proof of Negligence. The individual must show that someone is responsible for the happening of the accident, be it an individual or company, meaning that individual or company failed to act in a reasonable manner under the given circumstances. For example, a slip and fall could be the result of a property owner failing to repair a broken sidewalk that it knew was in disrepair, or a construction accident could result from a general contractor’s failure to comply with OSHA regulations.
- Injury/Causation. After establishing another individual or company is responsible for the happening of the accident, the injured individual must show that the other individual or company’s negligence was a cause of his or her injuries. If the injured person can prove these two elements he or she is entitled to damages.
- Damages. There are two types of damages in a personal injury case, non-economic damages and economic damages. Non-economic damages include pain, suffering, disability, impairment, loss of enjoyment of life. Economic damages include medical costs, lost wages, loss of earning capacity, and future medical treatment costs.
Types of Personal Injury Cases
There are many types of personal injury cases, which include
- Motor Vehicle Accidents
- Trucking Accidents
- Bicycle Accidents
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Boat Accidents
- Construction Accidents
- Railroad Accidents
- Workplace Accidents
- Medical Malpractice
- Birth Injuries
- Dental Malpractice
- Dog Bites & Other Animal Bites
- Premises Liability (Slips, Trips, Falls, etc.)
- Product Liability
- Assault & Battery
Cerussi & Gunn – Experienced NJ Personal Injury Attorneys
At the law firm of Cerussi & Gunn, we always put our clients’ interests first. Our goal is to help our clients recover and move on with their lives after a serious accident, while holding those responsible accountable. We review our clients’ cases carefully and believe in each and every case we take on.
The attorneys at Cerussi & Gunn have the skills and experience to make sure that our clients’ legal rights are protected, and that they receive the compensation they deserve.
Our Monmouth County, New Jersey office is conveniently located in Shrewsbury, NJ.